Tenants in Parkdale are up against bad landlords, greedy developers, and other threats to the neighbourhood. Often, these challenges result in legal problems that staff at Parkdale Community Legal Services can help with. From disrepair and harassment by landlords to illegal rent increases and threats of eviction, PCLS caseworkers can help tenants to ensure that their rights are respected.
Common legal issues raised by tenants against landlords include:
- Disrepair and maintenance issues
- Harassment and threats
- Cold temperatures during the winter
- Illegal deposits or charges collected by landlords
- Illegal/unenforceable leases
Additionally, PCLS caseworkers can assist tenants in cases initiated by landlords for:
- Arrears/unpaid rent
- Eviction for alleged illegal acts
- Eviction for other alleged conduct
- Eviction for “landlord’s own use” or conversion
Depending on the type and specifics of the case, PCLS caseworkers can gather and asses evidence, write demand letters to landlords, negotiate agreements, or represent tenants at the Landlord Tenant Board.
If you are a tenant in Parkdale and you have any of these issues, come in for an intake and speak to a caseworker.