The following draft bylaw changes were approved by the Board of Parkdale Community Legal Services to be voted on at our Annual General Meeting on September 26, 2018. To request a hard copy of the draft bylaws, you can call us 416-531-2411, or come by our office and speak to reception.
As an Ontario not-for-profit, Parkdale Community Legal Services Inc.’s Policy Committee has proposed changes to our bylaw. The changes will bring our organization into compliance with the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act . The proposed changes are summarized below.
Section D: “Membership”
- The creation of three membership classes.
- Paragraph 6, Class A members represent the current general members of the organization.
- Paragraph 7, Class B members represent students currently registered in the Poverty Law Intensive Program.
- Paragraph 8, the sole Class C member is the Dean of Osgoode Law School.
- Paragraph 11, explains voting rights for each membership class.
Section E “Board of Directors”
- Paragraphs 16, 17 and 18, on the process for the election of Directors for each of the membership classes.
Section G: “Board meetings”
- Paragraph 35, modified to include phone and electronic method of communication for participating in Board meetings.
- Paragraph 46, modified to reflect the removal process for Board members by Class.
Section H: “Meetings of Members”
- Paragraph 58, clarifying duties of Directors in chairing meetings of members.
- Paragraph 66, regarding the process for the election of Directors.
Section K “Technicalities”
Paragraph 88, to include electronic communication as a method of official communication to members and directors.
 To learn more about the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, please see the backgrounder from Community Legal Education Ontario: http://nonprofitlaw.cleo.on.ca/onca-essentials/